Colington firefighters were called to the 400 block of Harbour View Drive on Monday, January 1st a little before 6:30 pm for a house on fire, and reportedly fully engulfed. Deputy Chief Phillips arrived minutes later and found that the fire was mostly on the exterior and that the residents and neighbors had done a great job in keeping the fire from spreading by using fire extinguishers, buckets of water and even dirt. The fire caused the glass in the storm door to burst. Thanks to the quick action of the residents, fire crews were able to quickly take care of the fire and then focus on the remaining hot spots in the walls and roof line.
Fire damage was contained to the front exterior of the home and there was slight water damage around one of the doors. Fortunately there was no smoke in the home and the family of 6 were able to remain in the house after the firefighters were done. Crews from Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head, Dare EMS and deputies assisted during the incident. The fire was ruled unintentional by fire officials.