An early morning Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector alerted a Colington family to dangerous amounts of CO in their home on November 2nd. The alarm was caused by a faulty LP Gas fueled water heater. Shortly after 2 a.m. firefighters were called to the 100 block of Soundshore Drive and during their investigation, found a very high concentration of CO throughout the home. According to Deputy Fire Chief David Phillips the CO detector probably saved the family’s lives.
Firefighters were able to trace a leak in the gas supply and shut off the gas to the home as other fire crews ventilated the house and ensured there was no longer a danger from carbon Monoxide.
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is given off from fuel burning appliances, motors, heaters and fireplaces. Since CO has no odor, color or taste, it cannot be detected by our senses. This means that dangerous concentrations of the gas can build up indoors and humans have no way to detect the problem until they become ill. CO mixes equally with air, meaning it doesn’t necessarily rise into the atmosphere or “pool” in lower spaces. It is produced from incomplete burning of fuels. Long exposure to high amounts of CO can result in death.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are:
- Dull headache
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness